Northwest Territories General Status Ranking Program
The NWT General Status Ranking Program is a collaborative program with all agencies working on wild species in the NWT.
The NWT General Status Ranking Program collects information on species of the Northwest Territories since 1999. The Program is a tool to reach common understandings on the general status of species, and build on our collective knowledge to manage human activities in an ecologically sustainable manner. This system is shared by all other jurisdictions in Canada, and is similar to systems used by other countries. This tool is assisting us in setting conservation priorities territorially, nationally, and internationally — especially across the circumpolar regions of the world.
Many knowledgeable persons from the NWT, or visiting and studying in the North, have contributed a vast amount of information on NWT species. Monitoring of the general status of species was performed every year.
The current report, NWT Species 2011-2015, can be downloaded here.
Older versions of the report are archived here. Ranks are valid for 5 years.
Each report is designed to:
- Provide priority lists of species that need more detailed assessment and may need special protection efforts in the future;
- Raise awareness of the current status of individual species that were found to be sensitive to human activities, and those for which more information is needed;
- Stimulate public input into a common knowledge base to help in the next general status evaluation; and
- Provide a reference tool to be used by wildlife management agencies, co-management boards, impact assessment agencies, industry, governments, and all northerners when making decisions related to wildlife.
The General Status Ranking Program is a coarse evaluation of the status of a species. Species ranked May be at Risk or At Risk require more attention or investigation and are the highest priority for more detailed assessment by either the NWT Species at Risk Committee (SARC) or by Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada (COSEWIC). See Species at Risk in the NWT for more information.
- Citing the contents of the infobase
- Corrections to the Infobase
- Use the Infobase
- Frequently Asked Questions